Do you consider yourself a Yo-Yo’er?
Given the context, I’m sure you can guess what I’m talking about. If not, let me explain.
When I’m talking about a Yo-Yo’er, I’m not talking about the person who actually plays with a toy yo-yo. I’m talking about the person who is always trying the latest fad/crash diets and can never seem to keep their weight from going up and down all the time…you know, like the yo-yo.
Or, the person who only takes their health “seriously” when it’s time to get ready for a vacation or special event.
Is that you?
If so, I’m here to help so you make better choices and get off the weight gain merry go round.
So let’s get into it!
Did you know that: Americans are the biggest consumers of weight loss products in the world (80%), yet still lead the world in obesity rates and unhealthy lifestyle.
- Here are some more interesting statistics I thought you might find interesting:
- 98% of people who lose weight on a diet gain it back within 5 years
- 90% of people who lose weight gain back more than they originally lost.
- Leaving only 5-10% of dieters who maintain their weight loss.
Why do you think that is?
In a nutshell, because DIETS DON’T WORK!
Reasons Why Diets Don’t Work
Sure, you may lose a few pounds when you start a new diet; but that’s expected when you greatly and suddenly reduce your calories and change your eating patterns.
The question is: Will that diet be sustainable and does it fit your needs and lifestyle?
After the 30 days or so, how are you supposed to move forward in “real life” once the diet is over?
That’s where one of the problems with diets comes in.
Diets don’t teach you how to eat after the diet. They only provide short-term results with a high percentage of regaining the weight. Remember that statistic?
Diets are typically generic (one size fits all) and they tell you what to eat, they don’t teach you how to eat for life…i.e. for you and your lifestyle specifically and that’s where JENuine Nutrition comes in.
I know that may sound elementary, and you’re probably thinking, wait, “I know how to eat!”
We all know how to put our forks to our mouth and that’s part of the problem as most people don’t know when to stop eating and that’s evident by our current obesity rates.
This is another reason why diets don’t work.
They’re too limited and restrictive which causes you to overeat and indulge once the diet is over, hence repeating the yo-yo diet cycle.
Diets are also Unrealistic & Unstainable: Too drastic and restrictive on calories and variety making it boring and harder to stick to once it’s over.
You know how the story goes. You can’t wait for the diet to be over so you can indulge in alllll of the foods you’ve been told you can’t have. Which causes even more confusion and a negative relationship with food because you look at food as the enemy (which can lead to an eating disorder, etc.) and miss out on important nutrients. When in reality, FOOD IS YOUR FRIEND! More on that another time.
Water weight and muscle mass is lost instead of actual fat loss.
This is because the body isn’t getting adequate amounts of protein and other nutrients that help grow and repair your muscles, resulting in the loss of muscle. When you lose muscle, your overall strength is reduced and this can lead to brittle bones which can increase risk of osteoporosis and injuries.
5 Ways To Spot A Fad Diet
- Promises quick and easy weight loss- Remember, how you lose it, is how you gain it. It takes time to put on weight and the same goes for losing it.
- Limits food choices & discourages balanced nutrition (too rigid and restrictive)
- Pushes “magic” and potentially dangerous diet pills and supplements
- Sounds too good to be true; making claims for unrealistic results
The Dangers of Fad Diets: What Yo-Yo Dieting Does to the Body
As I mentioned before, diets are typically restrictive and limited, which not only causes hyper cravings, but also causes you to miss out on crucial vitamins and minerals the body needs to properly function.
When you completely eliminate certain foods, you miss out on vital nutrients that could lead to nutrient deficiencies and a weakened immune system which can lead to illness and more.
The constant up and down in weight also wreaks havoc on your metabolism, hormones and can have a psychological effect.
When you’re on a restrictive diet, your body goes into starvation mode which causes your body’s metabolism to slow down. And when you start eating “regular” again, your metabolism revs back up.
This up and down confuses the body and causes hormonal imbalances, making it harder to lose the weight you initially set out to lose.
Diet can also lead to obsessive eating or not eating which can cause a vicious cycle of body dysmorphia, eating disorders, low self-esteem and even depression.
So as you can see, diets aren’t as glamorous as they are advertised to be and can cause some serious health problems.
5 Ways to Get Results Without Fad Diets
- Change your perception of food- food is fuel and needed to get us through our day and achieve optimal health.
- Healthy weight loss requires long term lifestyle changes, not quick-fix fad diets. Remember, how you lose it is how you gain it and slow and steady wins this race!
- Eat whole, real foods- no need for calorie counting. It’s the quality of calories that count.
- Get moving! Moderate physical activity a few times a week.
- Practice Intuitive, Mindful Eating. Listen to your body’s signals.
- Bonus: Minimize/manage stress & get some SLEEP!
There’s so much more I can dive into with this topic, but I’ll save that for another time.
So if you’re tired of the up and down, merry-go-round weight gain, and ready to learn holistic strategies that will last you a lifetime, sign up for the 7-Day Holistic Reset & Reboot and start your journey to real, life-lasting results!
No Diets, No Calorie Counting or Crazy Restrictions!
Click the link below to get started!
[maxbutton id=”1″ url=”https://bit.ly/7DayResetReboot” ]